80th Anniversary of the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, Split, Croatia, 21-22 October 2010
proslavaOpening Ceremony was held in The Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments
Welcome addresses was given by
- representative of the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries
- representative of the University of Split
- representative of the City of Split
- representative of the Splitsko-dalmatinska County
- representative of the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia
After welcome addresses, history and present state of the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries was given by dr. sc. Ivona Marasović, director of the Institute. Opening ceremony was finished by reception.
80th Anniversary of the Institute was continued with International Symposium: Towards the Excellence in Oceanography and Fisheries, held in the Croatian Chamber of Economy.
Invited lectures given by high-level international expert:
- Nadia Pinardi: The new science of operational oceanography and its implementation in the Mediterranean Sea
- Evangelos Papathanassiou: Research on the South European Seas: current and future perspectives
- Jacques Bertrand: The contribution of the surveys at sea toward the development of an ecosystem approach to fisheries
- Maurice Héral: New advances in the EU aquaculture and networking possibilities
- Friedrich Nast: Distributed vs centralized oceanographic data centres, any clues?
- Frederic Briand: Bridging marine science sectors and Mediterranean cultures
Lectures given by scientists from Institute:
- Ivica Vilibić: Research activities, perspectives and Strategy 2011-2020 of the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries
- Vlado Dadić: Operational oceanography capacities at IOF and their perspectives
- Olja Vidjak: Ecosystem-based approach integrated within the IOF research
- Nedo Vrgoč: Fisheries research activities and perspectives at IOF
- Ivan Katavić: Facing further challenges in Croatian marine aquacultureAlso at symposimum was held round table discussion with following topics:
- Regional and global collaboration in research activities, and researchers’ mobility as a prerequisite for the excellence and visibility of a research centre
- Does Croatia need operational oceanography service?
- Ecosystem-based approach and preservation of Adriatic flora and fauna.
- Fisheries and aquaculture research as a basis for sustainable management of marine resources